Slowey McManus Communications (SMC), a Boston-based public relations and communications firm with expertise in healthcare, life sciences, energy/environment, retail, education, public policy and non-profit sectors, is looking for a self-directed Account Executive with at least two years of experience to support and execute media and digital strategies for select clients.
SMC is expanding rapidly, having doubled our staff over the past few years and applicants should be excited about joining a growing firm and willing to take on challenging and interesting subject matter. This position will be based in Boston.
From writing press releases and pitching media, to curating visuals and running social media campaigns, we are looking for someone who is willing to dive in to help support a number of successful communications efforts.
ACTIVITIES OF THE ROLE INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Building and managing robust media lists
- Writing press releases and pitches
- Pitching press releases and stories by phone or email to national, regional and trade journalists, across print, broadcast and online
- Monitor media coverage and report results to the wider team and clients
- Support client account teams including building agendas for meetings along with monthly reports
- Support and/or manage clients’ social media accounts such as their Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn pages
- Curate social media strategy for clients and campaigns
- Develop graphics and visuals for clients
- Craft communications and marketing materials for clients
- Deliver in-depth analytics reports on social media, reporting on traffic, engagement and follower figures
- Attend client events and industry conferences when needed
- Develop communications materials, such as e-newsletters
- Brainstorm fresh ideas for PR and Marketing campaigns for clients
- Copywriting skills: Applicants should bring an attention to detail, including a sense for spelling, grammar, and proofreading, as well as a creative flair for producing engaging copy.
- Creative eye: Candidates should have a knack for conceptualizing and producing visuals in order to support the graphic needs of clients in the digital sphere.
- Presentation skills: From communicating ideas to the team to presenting stories to journalists, you need to organize information in a succinct and interesting way to capture their attention.
- Strong interpersonal skills: Whether it’s over the phone, by email or in person, you need to be approachable, friendly and empathetic, and be able to relate to people on different levels within the agency, with clients, and with the media.
- Intellectual curiosity: Given our wide range of clients, candidates should be interested in learning new subjects and be excited to work in a wide range of clients from non-profits and public policy organizations to emerging life science companies and med tech startups.
A degree in public relations, communications, journalism or another relevant subject matter is required, along with at least two years of experience working in communications in an in-house or agency setting. Strong connections with local, regional and national press is desirable.
The position comes with a competitive salary, and with a comprehensive benefits package.